Monday, January 21, 2013

Speechless by Hannah Harrington


Title:Speechless by Hannah Harrington
Publication Date: Feburary 1st 2013 (UK)
August 28th 2012 (US) 
Publisher: Harlequin UK 
Via Net Galley


Book Summary
         Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret to save her life until the last secret she spills sends her on a vow of silence. She goes from being the best friend of Popular girl Kristen, to the girl hated by almost everyone in her school. 


Chelsea Knot- Her character in the start of the book was immature and I wanted to give up on reading the book because I couldn't stand a character who was completely selfish. I decided to give her character a chance to redeem herself (which she does). Her character in the beginning is what a typical popular character is like, selfish and mean. Towards the end of the book she learns to become a better person. 

Kristen-I hated her character throughout the whole book. Even towards the end I wanted to punch her because she is the stuck up girl that doesn't think of anyone but herself. (I never got along with her type in high school.)

Sam-He is my favorite character throughout the book. He is the type of friend, I wish I had. I admired how even though Chelsea gossiped about his best friend's secret, that he still decided to befriend her. At first he was wary of befriending Chelsea which is understandable. 

Asha- Her character is the most selfless of them all as she takes Chelsea Knot as a friend despite the things she has done. She isn't popular but, she has a heart of gold. 

Noah-We don't really get to see much of his character throughout the book. I did enjoy the parts he is in though. 

Andy-I enjoyed his character. I wish we could of seen more of him throughout the story. At first he isn't really nice to Chelsea because of what happened to Noah because of her. I understood his pain and felt sorry about what happened. Towards the end we get to see what a great character he is. 


+/- or Dislikes/likes
+The concept of not being able to keep a secret
-Kristen 
+Chelsea/Sam's friendship
-How people treated Chelsea throughout the book
+Writing Style 
-Slut shaming 
+The dance scene
-/+The cover, I love the color scheme but, I think it is a bit bland.




"Hate is easy, but love takes courage" 



At first when I started Speechless, I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. I read Hannah Harrington's Saving June and fell in love with that book. After the whole drama played out, the main character became likable to me. I really enjoyed this book and love Hannah Harrington's writing style. I loved the concept the author came up with about someone deciding to become mute after spreading a secret went wrong, I think she did a  brilliant job portraying it in this book. 

Rating:3/5
Cover: 3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment