Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Secret Year

                                        The Secret Year

Title: The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard

Publication Date: January 7, 2010
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Borrowed from the library


                    Book Summary
Julia, a girl from Black Mountain recently died. Colten, a boy from the flats has to deal with his grief alone as his secret lover has just died. Julia has a boyfriend named Austin who is also from the Black Mountains yet she has a secret relationship with Colten. After receiving a notebook that Julia wrote, Colten is left with more questions then answers as he struggles with whether Julia would still be with him if she was alive. He also has to deal with that secrets don't always stay hidden.

I personally have to say this is one of the best books I have read. I think it would top the top favorite along with Don't Die, My Love. (However VA is the top of my list). I just felt so emotionally connected with the character like I was experiencing what he was going through. 

Julia-At times I thought she was truly a nice person and might have actually cared for Colten but, then other times she seemed to not give a crap about him. She bitched about her boyfriend Austin most of the time...I don't think she should of cheated on her boyfriend but, I did kind of enjoy the secret relationship... (forbidden love? or forbidden lust)

Colten-I love his character even though he was a bit naive when it came to Julia. I did feel sorry for him to have to grieve alone as he couldn't tell anyone his relationship with Julia. 

Kirby-I think she is was a bit too bitchy at Colten for having the journal and another thing that is a major thing. (don't want to spoil anything.) I mean she has the right to feel hurt but, she should try to see Colten's side.   

Sex- There might seem to be too much sex but, in this day an age not a lot of teenagers are still virgins. I don't agree with the sex in the book but, it does kind of help the storyline a bit.



Cover-3/5
Rating-5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment