Sunday, February 12, 2012

Halflings

    

Title: Halflings by Heather Burch 

Publication Date: January 17 2012
Publisher: Zondervan
E-book via Netgalley 


Book Summary
Nikki Youngblood is a black belt in karate but, has no experience with boys. Someone or something is after her and in order to protect her life she has three boys to watch over her. These three boys are sent on a journey that has them protecting someone, this time it is a teenage girl.

Kudos to the author for starting the first chapter with some action. Usually books wait until the middle before deciding to bring out some action pack fun. 

Mace/Raven/Nikki triangle- I am not a fan of this triangle.... I felt weird when she is like eye sexing Raven after she has the major hots for Mace. Raven is the hot bad boy....but Mace is way better for her <3 

Mace- I loved this character <3. He was just too sweet and I felt like he countered his bad brother Raven. He was meant for Nikki.... (:

Nikki- She was a good main girl in the book, in a way she reminded me of one of my favorite book characters. She has the sense to fight and defend for herself instead of being a mary sue and play the hopeless victim.

Raven-Every book needs a bad boy which I think Raven fits this perfectly. He seems to be a playboy which to be honest fits his character. He does not belong with Nikki though. The romance between the both of them seemed forced.   



-1 I didn't like how when we find out who is after Nikki the book ends.... it felt like the plot was useless since it wasn't solved.... I guess it was a smart move to ensure I read the next book to find out what happened. 


I had high hopes for this book being a better rating then a 3 but, towards the middle it felt kind of like a let down with the pace and plot etc. I will say it was tolerable to want to read book 2 in hopes for more action packed fun. I mean the author writes well and includes a good mix of romance/action it just seemed like the action felt odd.... I also have to say that for being written in third person point of view the book did great to capture all the characters without giving to much away before the story ended.




Rating-3.5/5

Cover-4.9/5 (As a graphics person good covers make me think more on which books to pick up to read. I really love this cover)


No comments:

Post a Comment