Monday, April 1, 2013

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch


Title: If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch
Publication Date: March 26,2013
Publisher:St.Martin's Griffin
ARC from NetGalley 

Book Summary
Carey and her younger sister, Jenessa have been living in the woods ever since they can remember with their mother. Often abandoned by their mother for long periods of time. Eventually, Carey's father finds them and they are brought into a new world with shopping malls, new clothes and tasty food. Jenessa has stopped talking after an incident happened in the woods that haunts Carey. 

Carey-At the start I wasn't to sure if I would like her character but, A few pages in she grew on me. She is very mature for her age as she has been keeping her sister and her alive whenever, her mother isn't around. 

Jenessa-In the start of the book it is learned that she doesn't talk. We don't learn the reason until the end of the book. Since her character is only six, she is adored by the family and doesn't struggle to adapted to this new life unlike her older sister. 

Ryan Shipley- I loved his character! He was the first person to talk to Carey when she entered the high school and showed her to her class. I found his character to be sweet but, I wish we could of seen more of him towards the end. 

Delaney-I wasn't a big fan of her character and thought she was selfish. Even though she gets better towards the end of the story, I still couldn't relate to her. I understood why she acted selfish but, it seemed still wrong after knowing what Jenessa and Carey went through. 

Mrs. Haskell-At first, I didn't like her character because she seemed to act in a rude way. She isn't a big character so we don't get to learn to much about her. I could tell after awhile she cared for the girls and wanted the best for them. 


+/- or Dislikes/likes
+The writing style
+How the author tackled a hard subject and did it beautifully.
+Ryan/Carey's friendship
-The ending seemed to end leaving me a bit left out on what happens to Carey at the end.
-Carey's mother
+I love how the cover has a dark tone to it
+Powerful scenes/moments throughout the book

I was nervous about starting this book as sometimes harsh topic are hard to portray in a book but, Emily Murdoch knew what she was doing  I felt like her characters were real people and I felt sad for what they went through. I thought the book was going to drag on during the first few pages but, that changed, I couldn't put the book down and finished it all in one day. If Emily Murdoch ends up writing another book like "If You Find Me", I will be reading it. While reading, I realized I really enjoy Emily's writing style. 




Rating:4/5 
Cover:3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment